Injury & Accident Compensation Resources
On Dog Bites And Other Dog Injuries Part 2
By: Grannys Mettle
Dog bites are very common injuries for both adults and children. People bitten by a dog can have permanent disfigurement, psychological trauma, and worse, even death. It is therefore necessary to always provide great care when dealing with dogs, even those that are considered as pets.
Precautionary measures are provided by experts and medical practitioners to avoid getting bitten. However, when one gets dog bites, one should know his/her rights, especially when it comes to recovering damages.
If you or a family is bitten by a dog, you should:
- try to identify the dog. If the dog has rabies, it is important that you should seek medical care and get the appropriate vaccines against the rabies.
- not argue with the owner of the dog. Arguing won't do any good, especially when the owner doesn't want to believe what happened. Many owners believe in the goodness of their pets that's why it's hard for them to accept that their dog would bite without severe provocation.
- not sign any papers or make statements on record. The dog owner, property owner or their insurance company might try to get you to sign papers or record your statements on tape. Take note that their primary goal is to get you to make statements that will help in their cause to avoid possible liabilities for your injuries. If this happens, you should consider having a lawyer present to assist you.
- make a report to the police. Report the incident to the police and they will investigate the circumstances of the dog bite. They will then provide a report that may help establish the incident.
- seek medical care. The dog that bit you may have rabies. In that case, you will need appropriate vaccines to counter the effects of rabies. On the other hand, dog bites involve puncture wounds from fangs. These can be easily infected. Also, you may have scrapes and abrasions from protecting yourself during the attack. An infected wound can result in a worse scar, and even serious complications and consequences.
- consider consulting a lawyer. A reliable lawyer can help you get back your financial losses as well as the emotional and psychological effects from the injuries caused by the incident. Even if the insurance company offers to give you payment, it helps to have a lawyer review the proposed settlement. A lawyer you can trust can help you obtain a fair outcome.
Different laws on dog bite injuries are provided in different states. In Michigan, victims of dog bites can easily establish liability on the part of the owner. Under Michigan law, it doesn't matter if the dog has never bitten another person. There is no "free bite rule". Dog owners are liable even if it's the first time that they're dogs bit somebody.
On the other hand, people may also be injured even without getting bitten by a dog. An attack may cause injury through the dog's claws, when the person was knock over, or when the driver of a bicycle was upset by a dog. If injured, these individuals may file claims, and recover damages from the dog's owner.
Check your state's law for information on dog bites.
About The Author
Granny's Mettle is a 30-something, professional web content writer. She has created various web content on a diverse range of topics, which includes digital printing topics, medical news, as well as legal issues. Her articles are composed of reviews, suggestions, tips and more for the printing and designing industry.
Her thoughts on writing: "Writing gives me pleasure? pleasure and excitement that you have created something to share with others. And with the wide world of the Internet, it gives me great satisfaction that my articles reach more people in the quickest time you could imagine."
On her spare time, she loves to stay at home, reading books on just about any topic she fancies, cooking a great meal, and taking care of her husband and kids.
For additional information and comments about the article you may log on to http://www.personalinjurydefenders.com
Return to Index
Find The Help You Need To Get Compensation For Your Injuries
Search All The Articles On This Site Right Here...